The handheld device is used as a network device, which always connected to the data account of the user via redirector software. The software is installed on the BlackBerry Enterprise Server. The communication between the software, BE Server and the hand held device’s software is always a two-way street. BES immediately updates the mobile device or the email or the calendar account, whenever a change in email account occurs.
The push technology of BlackBerry keeps the device instantly in “synch” without any effort by the user.
The standard features of a BlackBerry are calendar, notes, calculator, tasks, alarm clock and few games.
In addition to the standard features, BlackBerry also has a feature for downloading third party applications.
Most of the BlackBerry handhelds are capable of using Bluetooth, which allows for using wireless Bluetooth headsets for handling telephone calls.
Benefits for organizations
The BlackBerry Connect technology allows the organizations for standardizing BlackBerry platform and leverages their existing BlackBerry solution investments. The employees’ productivity and performance can also be boosted by providing them the mobile access for their emails and calendars.
Benefits for IT
IT departments are provided with a solution that is easy to utilize, manage and deploy by using BlackBerry Connect technology. Strict requirements for security and manageability will be satisfied and several devices can be connected to the BlackBerry Platform.
1. Email: BlackBerry provides email accessing facility with its wireless extension. Normal email activities can be performed without hassles. It remains continuously connected to the wireless network which enables the user to access email. The mail will appear on the device without retrieving it.
2. Phone: The BlackBerry hand held has all the features of a mobile. In addition it has digital walkie-talkie, SIP based IP telephony and also provides headsets with comfort, clarity and convenience.
3. Wireless Internet: The hand held phone have special features which enables to browse the internet by clicking and scroll track wheel for navigating the pages and types the URLs by using QWERTY keyboards.
4. Tethered Modem: Some of the BlackBerry hand held devices are available with features like speedy wireless services with fast email and browsing experiences. This device acts as a tethered modem without carrying a wireless PC card.
5. Organizer: The mobile is provided with functionality regarding day to day activities.
6. SMS: Blackberry devices support the facility of sending and receiving text messages.
7. Instant Messaging: This feature helps the user for contacting people once they are connected to the wireless network.
8. Corporate Data Access: Business goals can be achieved with access to the corporate data, by using wireless connectivity technology.
9. Paging: Some of the BlackBerry models provide paging services to the BlackBerry users who do not have an email account.
The BlackBerry Storm2 has the following features: