If you want to download a copy of Oracle Database 10g Express Edition, visit http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/database/xe/.
If you are using Windows systems, there are downloads available for you:
* Oracle Database 10g Express Edition (Western European) - Single-byte LATIN1 database for Western European language storage, with the Database Homepage user interface in English only.
* Oracle Database 10g Express Edition (Universal) - Multi-byte Unicode database for all language deployment, with the Database Homepage user interface available in the following languages: Brazilian Portuguese, Chinese (Simplified and Traditional), English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean and Spanish.
* Oracle Database 10g Express Client
You need to download the universal edition, OracleXEUniv.exe, (216,933,372 bytes) and client package, OracleXEClient.exe (30,943,220 bytes).
To install 10g universal edition, double click, OracleXEUniv.exe, the install wizard starts. It will guide you to finish the installation process. You should take notes about:
* The SYSTEM password you selecte: globalguideline.
* Database server port: 1521.
* Database HTTP port: 8080.
* MS Transaction Server port: 2030.
* The directory where 10g XE is installed: oraclexe
* Hard disk space taken: 1655MB.
If you want to check your fresh installation of 10g Express Edition without using any special client programs, you can use a Web browser with this address, http://localhost:8080/apex/.
You will see the login page. Enter SYSTEM as the user name, and the password (globalguideline), you selected during the installation to log into the server.
Visit different areas on your 10g XE server home page to make sure your server is running OK.
You can also get to your 10g XE server home page by going through the start menu. Select All Programs, then Oracle Database 10g Express Edition, and then Go To Database Home Page
If you want to shutdown your 10g Express Edition server, go to the Services manager in the control panel. You will a service called OracleServiceXE, which represents your 10g Express Edition server.
Select OracleServiceXE, and use the right mouse click to stop this service. This will shutdown your 10g Express Edition server.
You can also shutdown your 10g XE server through the start menu. Select All Programs, then Oracle Database 10g Express Edition, and then Stop Database.
Go to the Start menu, select All Programs, Oracle Database 10g Express Edition, and Start Database.